It’s only a couple of minutes, so let me add a few thoughts:
- I’m talking about an individual faculty member or two. It’s not a macro discussion. So no time to get into publication economics, big tech trends, metadata standards, etc.
- My final point might be lost, so: what I describe isn’t cutting-edge tech. It’s established tech and settled practices in the online world. I’m just seeing academics actually take them seriously.
- The boundaries here are fluid, mostly due to social media. Scholarly thinking sprawls across platforms and into different forms. It’s what we do now, actually, but here rendered more visible, more of a driver for venue selection.
- Yes, I have that much hair.
- This is an optimistic scenario. It sees more scholarship and more access. So it’s opposed to my peak scholarship concept.
- I left off institutional repositories. Am still thinking about that.
Many thanks to Gerry Bayne for the editing and Educause for the setting.